MOM! MAMA! MADRE! MOMMY

I'm sure I'm like most of you, I have friends in all different stages of motherhood; some of my friends are just starting with motherhood, some are in the toddler stages, some are of school age kids, high school kids, college kids, and some are even grandmas!!  As a parent of two 20+ years old and one 16 year old my view of parenthood has changed.  I remember when my biggest worry was will my son ever be potty trained? Now, I worry will my child make smart choices after graduation? Do they think they should have one or two drinks? Will they check their phone while driving? Just to name a few. I miss the days they would sit and read books, watch cartoons, or even just come and give you a hug for no reason.

When your kids are young we look at them and see that they might be a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, or a pastor. We see all the endless possibilities. No one looks at their child and think they should be a mom the age of 19, they will date someone who treats them poorly, they will drop out of college, they will suffer depression. We want them to find the best boyfriend or girlfriend that treat them like a queen or king, We want them to have a college degree, join the military, or have a great job. I would think it's safe to say that we want them to have the life we didn't. We want them to learn from their and ours mistakes.

I have learned that kids will make their own mistakes and we won't agree with them, They will ask our advice and not take it, Which is more upsetting then not asking for it at all.

Although I'm at a new parenting stage in our lives and I'm still learning how to be a mom to our adult children. It's hard sharing our mistakes with them and our life when we were that age.


I'm learning to like my new role as a parent but it is hard to sit back and watch them make these life choices for themselves. It is nice to have a drink with our older kids and talk about their days. It's nice to have them ask about our days and ask about our lives,


Some times it's hard to see them in a relationship it might not be the person we thought they would be with but as parents we can't change this for them. This is something they will and need to make for themselves. We get to be here for them in the good and bad. We pray they make the right choices when it comes to this. I do remember when I was 22 I was expecting and engaged.  Twenty One years ago it wasn't awful to be expecting at the age of 22. After all I did graduated college and did my career choice already and was ready for the next stage in my life. I'm sure my parents wasn't happy with my choices and my life turned out just fine.

So, tonight as we drove an hour to take our daughter her Easter basket we had a dinner that lasted 2 hours because we sat and talked. We talked about her future plans or what she hopes to accomplish. She asked us questions about our relationship at the start. I didn't even notice that we were there that long.

No  matter what stage you are in as a mom remember each stage is in important and cherish each stage but don't stress yourself out on some of the little stuff. Your child will grow up with their own choices and be their own person. Be there to love them through their mistakes, focus on the positives, make sure they know you are there to listen to them and you hear them. I'm by far the perfect mom but I'm still trying and still learning,  (by the way it doesn't hurt to pray as well)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it a boy or girl??